Friday, August 26, 2011

Interview Series - Rick Whitaker


Rick with his 2009 archery buck

Bones n' Broadheads is proud to bring you an interview with my taxidermist, Rick Whitaker.  Rick is very well known for his quality taxidermy work.  Rick also loves to bowhunt for giant whitetails in Iowa.  This interview will help you know what to do when you get that big ol' swamp donkey down this fall. 

Rick lives in between Pella and Knoxville in southern Iowa.  When Rick is not working on deer, he carries the mail in the rural area he lives in. 

I hope you enjoy the interview with Rick!

Bones n' Broadheads (BnB):  How did you decide to get in the taxidermy business?

Rick Whitaker (RW):  I grew up loving to hunt and fish.  A friend showed me a coyote rug he made when I was around 12.  I started playing with tanning and mounting squirrels and fish at that time.  When I was 20 I decided to attend a taxidermy school and further expand my interest.

BnB:  How long has Whitaker's Wildlife been in business?

RW:  I started the business in 1990 after going through taxidermy school.

BnB:  Which species of animals do you work on?

RW:  I specialize in whitetail deer and do a few mule deer.

BnB:  How did you choose whitetail deer?

RW:  I would rather hunt whitetails more than anything else, and as my business got busier and busier, I decided to focus on deer as my speciality in taxidermy.

BnB:  Has your taxidermy won any awards?  If so, which awards?

RW:  While competing as a professional I won first place ribbons on whitetails, mule deer, and fish at the state level.  Then at the master level I won first place and best of category on whitetails.  Competition was an important part of developing my skills and pushing me to work harder.

Rick's award winning deer
BnB:  A hunter brings a deer in to get mounted, what is the most common issue you have with a deer cape?

RW:  The two biggest problems are cutting the cape too short, usually in the brisket area, and slippage from waiting too long to bring it in. 

BnB:  Can you give any tips and tricks as to how to take care of your cape once the deer is recovered?

RW:  Hang and cape the deer as quickly as possible.  Any delay during this time makes my job more difficult and can cause slippage issues.

BnB:  How many deer have you mounted?

RW:  About 1,300.

BnB:  Out of all the deer you have mounted, which one has been your favorite?

RW:  I really don't have one.  I like features like 14" tines, 7" mass, 28" spread, and multiple drops and kickers.  All of those features make for an amazing mount.  I also like a super serious hunter who truly loves chasing whitetails and is just as proud of killing a 9 year old buck that they have pursued for five years, regardless of score.

BnB:  You had the opportunity to mount the world record "Albia Buck", can you talk a little about that experience?


Rick with the Albia Buck
RW:  It is an amazing deer.  Deer of that class seem to have a lot of "buzz" around them; sadly a lot of it was negative, based on jealousy and rumors.  I am just as happy mounting a nice 160" class deer that doesn't have endless rumors and speculations that take away from the true sense of accomplishment that the hunter should have.

BnB:  Out of all the people that have pulled in your driveway to drop off a deer, which person that stopped in suprised you the most?

RW:  Bill Jordan was one of the most interesting.  He really seems to enjoy interacting with the average hunter.  He came across as a super nice, down to earth guy, who has accomplished so much in the sport we all love.

Rick with Bill's Montana bow kill
 
Rick with Bill and his 2003 Iowa bow kill

BnB:  What makes you satisfied about a mount?  How do you know when the job is finished and the customer will be happy?

RW:  I am most satisfied when I see a "natural" look.  I never take for granted that the customer will be satisfied; I always look forward to hearing their feedback.

BnB:  After you send a mount home with a customer, what advice can you give in terms of care of the trophy?

RW:  I would focus on avoiding excessive dry heat and humidity.

BnB:  How do you go about recommending how a deer is mounted from a position standpoint?

Full sneak
RW:  I try to show through examples what might better show off the deer's individual traits.  Ultimately it is up to the customer.

Semi-sneak position
Pedistal mount

BnB:  How did you come up with your taxidermy style?

RW:  I studied live deer, still photos, and video trying to duplicate a "natural" relaxed look for mature Iowa deer.  I listened to the opinions of competition judges and simply what my customers pick up on and like.

BnB:  Besides your own work, whose taxidermy work do you admire the most?

RW:  Joe Meder is an extremely skilled artist that I look up to.  He has also done so many things to advance the industry through his products, training, and judging.

I would like to thank Rick for taking time to do this interview.  Please take a look at this website:  www.whitakerswildlife.com.  You can learn more details on how to care for the animal after it is harvested, plus look at some of the giant whitetails that Rick has mounted over the years.

Look for another blog update next weekend.  I am going to the farm to hang stands and check cameras.  It should be a fun-filled weekend!

Muddyhunter
 
  

No comments:

Post a Comment