Sunday, August 7, 2011

Weekend Update - August 6th & 7th

Saturday, the wife and I made a quick trip to the farm to spread some fertilizer and lime on the new food plot, check and move some cameras, and eat at my favorite steak place.

Spreading some fertilizer
First off, I didn't get a chance last weekend to spread fertilizer and lime, so I had to do it this weekend.  Spreading fertilizer and lime would have been ideal last weekend because it would have gotten disked in before I seeded the plot.  With rain in the forecast for southern Iowa this week, the rain will get the fertilizer in the ground and will help the brassica blend start to grow.  It is very dry in southern Iowa!



After spreading some fertilizer and setting up a camera, it was time to go check some cameras and refresh mineral sites.  I have been using Lucky Buck all year and the deer seem to love it!  I can see why because it smells awesome when you pop the lid open.


Finally, Katie and I went to Bogie's Steak House in Albia.  If you are in southern Iowa within 100 miles of Albia, you need to take a detour and eat here!  Bogie's has awesome food with a wide variety of steaks, pork chops, and chicken.  Bogie's is only open for dinner on Wednesday through Saturday evenings.  If you are hunting in southern Iowa this fall, Bogie's is the hunter hang-out.  Bogie's is just south of the Highway 34 and Highway 5 intersection in Albia.

Bogie's Steak House in Albia
Because I forgot my laptop at home, I had to wait a few hours to look at the pictures from the cameras that I checked.......it was worth the wait!  It has been a rough year for pictures because of the heat in Iowa and I haven't gotten pictures of a huge 160"+ 8-pointer that I have seen the past few years.  Also, one half of his sheds were found on the farm this past spring, so I knew he was around.

2009


2010
 









2010 Shed
2011



This big 8-pointer is my #1 hit list buck.  He is probably 5 1/2 to 6 1/2 years old and is to the point where he is going to start going downhill from an antler size standpoint.

Today (Sunday) my brother Ryan and I went to the Iowa Bowhunters Association Fall Festival 3D shoot in Eldora, IA.  This is the first time I have been to this event, and it was awesome!  The 3D course is very well setup, the grounds are nice, and it was an easy walk.  The shoot was also challenging with some longer shots which I like. 


Some good shooting!

Muddyhunter (Jake) shooting

Ryan taking aim
This past weekend was full of preseason practice and property management.  Tomorrow I will post my treestand setups for this year and why I am hunting these specific locations.

Muddyhunter

No comments:

Post a Comment