Thursday, September 8, 2011

Trail Camera Update

Moultrie Mini M-80
I wanted to give an update on one of the new trail cameras I have tried out this year.  I have been running two Moultrie M-80 mini cameras this summer.  The cameras are awesome to setup and compact, which I really like.  The downside to these cameras have been that it is about a 50/50 chance of actually having pictures on the card  when I pull it.  Sometimes I get an error on my computer that says the card needs to be formatted (I have formatted all my cards before I use them), once I had a bunch of folders on the card with funky symbols and only half the pictures were viewable, and other times I pull the card, put a new one in and the camera acts like it does not want to work.  Needless to say after this experience with both cameras, I have had enough!

This is not the first time I have heard this issue with these new Moultrie cameras.  I called Moultrie and they told me I needed to use a 4GB card instead of 2GB and that I needed to do a hard reset of the camera.  I think the card suggestion is bogus; if they recommend a 4GB card, put it on the packaging! 

DLC Covert 3.0
I have recently purchased a Wildgame Innovations Micro 6 Red and will also be purchasing a DLC Covert 3.0 to try out.  I have heard good things about both cameras, so I am going to give them a try.  I am going to return one Moultrie and keep the other.  There is a firmware update available so I am going to try that and then do the hard reset and see if that helps the M-80.

WGI Micro 6 Red
I wanted to put this out there so that others can be aware of these problems.  I will give a complete update on how these new cameras are working and if the new updates work on the M-80.

Muddyhunter

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the info man. Really good to read a post that has facts as opposed to uneducated opinion. Keep up the good work. Look forward to more posts.

    ReplyDelete