Thursday, September 22, 2011

2011 Hit List

It's the time of year to dive into the hit list bucks.  I have struggled with trail camera reliability this year, but still have managed to get a few awesome deer on camera.  Still, I know that once Halloween rolls around I could see bucks that I have never seen before (like my 2010 buck).

2010 Buck
 #1 - The Big 8

I have a ton of history with this buck and he is a giant, but this is the year to get him on the ground.  I am pretty sure he is 6 1/2 years old and will start going downhill if he doesn't get shot this year.  I have seen him on stand a couple of different times, but could never get him in range.  Here are some pictures of this giant.


 


To view more pictures from the past few years of the Big 8, check out the Weekend Update from August 6th and 7th.  I am guessing this deer is in the mid-160's based off the score on the shed I found last year (72").

#2 - Randy Savage

Randy Savage was nicknamed the Macho Man, and that name fits this buck perfectly!  This is the first time I have gotten pictures of this buck, and I'm not sure what to make of him.  I think he may be 3 1/2 years old, and if that is the case, he may get a free pass this year.  I will have to make that call when the time comes.




These are the two bucks I am focusing on the most.  I plan to hunt these deer in two different locations; the Ridge Top Stand and Tom's Stand.  These two stands will give me the best opportunity to take down the Big 8 and Randy Savage.  Check out the Treestand Location blog to view the two strategies I have for these stands.

#3 - The Moose

The Moose is probably 4 1/2, but even if he isn't he is a deer that probably needs to be shot this year based on his rack.  The Moose has one nice 4 point side, and the other side has no points, but is very palmated.  The Moose is just a really cool deer that would make an awesome mount.



#4 - Crazy 8

Crazy 8 is a nice mature buck that will be a great buck for my wife or brother to shoot for their first buck.  He is a mature 8 pointer that will probably score in the low 130's. 




To go along with the Crazy 8 buck, here are some pictures of a few other mature bucks.





I will try and keep you posted on any other hit list bucks that may show up on camera during the season.  Hopefully I will be posting picture of the Big 8 on the ground come November!

Muddyhunter

1 comment:

  1. While I've never been a big one for "hit lists," I don't have a problem with other people having them. You've got some awesome bucks there. And I think you're right, Randy Savage doesn't look older than 3 1/2 to me either. The Moose is definitely my favorite. Would love to have an ugly rack like that on my wall.

    ReplyDelete