Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Hunting Shows

It's the time of year when hunting season is over and it's too cold to go out and do any work in the timber.  That's right, the only thing us bowhunters can enjoy is watching hunting shows on TV or DVD.  I love watching hunting shows, but there are many different types.  Shows that you can learn things from, shows that put down awesome animals, shows that take you around the world, and the shows that leave you wondering how the heck the show is even on TV.

I really enjoy shows that I can learn something from and apply what I learned to my own hunting strategies.  In my opinion, there is only one hunting show out there that does this: Midwest Whitetail.  I have learned so much over the past few years watching this show.  MW has everything from tips and tricks, to what to look for in setting up stands, to harvesting some great deer.  Not only does MW have a TV show on the Sportsman Channel, but also a semi-live Internet show during deer season. 

There are also shows out there that have awesome video quality.  Heartland Bowhunter and Hallowed Ground Outdoors are fun to watch based on the video quality alone.  These guys also put down some great animals, but the video quality allows their shows to standout from the others.

I also like the usuals; The Crush, Bone Collector, Realtree Outdoors, Western Extreme, etc.  I classify these shows in the "put down awesome animals" category.  While these shows are fun to watch, most of the hunts and animals that are harvested are unrealistic for the majority of hunters.  In this category, I do like Western Extreme for the fact that Jim Burnworth does a great job of setting up the terrain and strategy he uses for harvesting the animal.  This helps me to envision what he is doing on the hunt.  Some of these shows focus quite a bit on sponsors than actual hunting, which I don't have a big problem with because it's part of the business.

Finally, there are the shows that you wonder "how the heck the show is even on TV".  One that comes to mind instantly is Wildgame Nation.  I have never seen a show that provides as little value as this one.  The hosts are horrible, they hunt with crossbows (which is a turn-off), and the editing and theme of each show is annoying. 

Another show that sometimes bugs me is Fear No Evil.  I like Chris Brackett as a hunter.  He takes awesome animals and is a crack shot with his bow.  The one thing I sometimes dislike about the show is that Brackett says "Booyah" way to much and about everything that happens.  If he said "booyah" when he shot a deer that is fine, but when he says "booyah" when he eats a bowl of cereal or when he fills up his truck with gas......"booyah" just gets old.

This is just my opinion on hunting shows.  Please leave a comment below the blog and keep the discussion going about your favorite hunting shows!

Muddyhunter

No comments:

Post a Comment