Monday, October 3, 2011

Opening Weekend Success!!

Opening weekend has come and gone here in Iowa and it was very successful! 

My wife and I seen over 20 deer on stand this weekend.  Saturday evening I shot a nice doe and also seen a 130" 8 pointer.  Pretty good sit.

Saturday evening doe

Redhead Gator did it's job
I would like to thank J & J Fur Company of Albia for allowing us to use their facilities to skin and quarter this doe.  J & J does a lot of trapping in the Albia area, so if you have some property that you would like to eliminate racoons, bobcats, beavers, or anything that has fur, give Joe and Jimmy a call.  Thanks guys!

Sunday evening, my wife seen a dozen deer and shot a nice doe, but we were unable to recover her.  The blood trail ran out and we seen her get up and run off from where she was bedded.  There was lots of blood, but my wife thought she hit the doe a little low.  This would explain the lack of blood on her arrow, but the amount of blood we seen during the track job.  I am sure this deer is dead, I just wish we could have recovered her and got a picture of my wife with her first deer.
   
Also on Sunday evening I shot a big doe, one of the biggest I have seen on stand.  My wife and I were sitting about 100 yards apart.  I shot the doe and she started running towards my wife.  Before I could text her to tell her I shot a doe, she text me with a picture of my doe just below her stand!  The doe ran right to her and expired just below where she was sitting!  No track job needed!

I would like to thank Burrell's Meat Locker in Moravia for supporting the HUSH program and taking this deer at 8:30 Sunday night.  Burrell's are located on Highway 5 in Moravia and are great guys to deal with.  I have been taking deer there for the last four years.

Sunday evening doe
To top off a great opening weekend, I pulled a card out of one camera and I got a picture of a GIANT buck I have never seen before on the farm.  Enjoy the pictures of this potential Booner!



I doubt that I will be hunting this coming weekend since it is supposed to be in the 80's next weekend.  With some meat in the freezer and a deer donated to the HUSH program, this was the best opening weekend I have had.

Muddyhunter

2 comments:

  1. It was a fun weekend- I hope I get to see that big boy in person!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations. Opening weekend doesn't get much better than that. Too bad you couldn't find your wife's doe but unfortunately it happens. And good luck with that monster.
    I actually got my first bow kill Saturday. Can't wait to get one with antlers now.

    ReplyDelete