Sunday, October 16, 2011

Weekend Update October 15th & 16th

This weekend was spent in Albia hunting.  I decided to take last weekend off between the hot weather and shooting a few does opening weekend. 

I went out Saturday morning and sat in the Logging Road stand because the wind was perfect for the setup.  This is the only time I will sit in this stand until November.  I seen about 10 deer on Saturday morning; one spike and the rest were does. 

In the Logging Road stand
On Saturday evening, I sat in the Food Plot stand.  I shot a doe there two weeks ago and I also seen a good buck, so I figured with the wind I would give it a shot.  Saturday evening was very windy and the deer did not start moving until 5:45.  I had a doe come across the CRP to the finger I was sitting in.  She ate acorns for a good 20 minutes before she decided to pop out of the finger 20 yards from my stand.  I couldn't pass up a mature doe, so I decided to take a shot.  My shot hit home in the pump station and she ran about 60 yards and expired. 

Saturday night doe
I checked a few cameras this weekend including my new Covert.  There were no big bucks on the Covert, but there were quit a few pictures. 



The Covert camera takes great pictures.  I will probably be picking up a few more of these cameras.  The Covert is really small, easy to setup, and only runs on four AA batteries.  Combine those benefits with the price and it is one heck of a camera!

On another camera I checked, I did get some good pictures.  Enjoy these mature Iowa bucks!




I'm not sure yet if I will be hunting next weekend or not....I am thinking not right now.  My vacation starts October 28th through November 14th, so I may just let the woods rest next weekend and get geared up for the rut!

I will be posting the whitetail calling blog next weekend.

Have fun hunting and be safe by always wearing your safety harness!

Muddyhunter

No comments:

Post a Comment