Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Rut Update - November 1st

I will attempt to bring you an update on my southern Iowa hunting every few days.  I have been hunting since Saturday, October 29th and hunting has been so-so to this point.

Saturday morning I sat in the Logging Road stand and seen approximately 15 deer.  Mostly bucks, but no shooters.

Saturday evening I sat in Tom's Stand and my wife was about 300 yards away in another stand.  We got in the stand about 2 PM and right off the bat, I seen the Big 8 100 yards away chasing a doe hard.  He was heading towards the stand my wife was in, so I text her that a giant was coming.  She didn't even get the text and he was there.  He had lost the doe and was standing at 30 yards.  Just as my wife released her arrow, he was running to find the hot doe........the arrow sailed just over his back.  The night wasn't too bad for me; I seen the Big 8, plus two other shooter bucks, just couldn't get them to come.  Katie did shoot a coyote Saturday night which is her first comfirmed bow kill.


The past few days have been slow with bucks not responding to calls.  Katie and I have both seen good bucks, but because they will not come to calls, it has been difficult to get them within bow range.

The next few days should get things started.  There is a cold front coming through tonight that will drop temps about 20 degrees and switch the wind from the south to the north; which works better for most of my best stands.


Hopefully in the next few days I will have a picture of a buck or two with Katie and I sitting behind it. 

Muddyhunter


3 comments:

  1. Great update!!

    I'm not trying to tick you off here but you might want to work on the proper use of the word seen. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also am not sure it is legal to be useing a cell phone to aid in the harvesting a deer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tom wishes he was sitting in Tom's stand :-(

    ReplyDelete